[TRNSYS-users] TRNBLD - active layer - Thickness of adjacent layers

Marion Hiller hiller at transsolar.com
Fri Dec 16 03:58:16 PST 2011

Johannes and Leen,

thanks for pointing out the confusion about the active layer boundary
conditions due to mistakes in the manual documentation.

I checked the equations with the original literature and the code.

The base equation is for all three systems is Eq. 5.4.4.-15:

For the following boundary conditions

the summation can be neglected and yield to Eq. 5.4.4. -16 (which is
wrong in the manual!)

For the capillary tube system the “ln” can be replaced by 1/3 if

is less than  1.85718.

Thus, for both capillary tube system and ordinary TAB the above
mentioned conditions have to be valid!

For the floor heating the conditions are the same for layer 1 with d1,
For layer 2 with d2 different condition apply.

(On page 5-187 of the manual there is a mistake: the “lower then” has to
be “greater then” for the condition of d1!)

The conditions are checked by entering the layers in TRNbuild.

Further details about the model can be found in the following book (it
is written in German):

„Thermoaktive Systeme tabs“ von Markus Koschenz und Beat Lehmann, 2000

If you are interessted I can double check if you can buy the book at
Transsolar.

Best regards,

Marion

P.S.: We will upate the documentation for the next release.

Dipl.-Ing. Marion Hiller
TRANSSOLAR: KlimaEngineering - Technologien für energieeffizientes Bauen
und Nutzerkomfort in Gebäude
Munich - New York - Stuttgart + 49.711.67976.0

Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH, Curiestrasse 2, 70563 Stuttgart
Amtsgericht Stuttgart - HRB 23347, Steuernummer 99073/00911, USt-IdNr.:
DE152272639

Geschäftsführer: Dipl.Ing. Matthias Schuler, Dipl.Ing. Thomas Auer,
Dipl.Phys. Stefan Holst, Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Bleicher

  _____