[TRNSYS-users] Type 460 - earth tube Kbord and Ssurf definition

Brideau, Sébastien (NRCAN/RNCAN) via TRNSYS-users trnsys-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Mon Jun 19 06:30:14 PDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what is meant in the manual by: "Note that for proper coupling with Type 460 HBACK of soil is set to identical value as Kbord from hypocaust and ground areas are identical to Ssurf from hypocaust (see Parameter control file to check this)."

I'm trying to fix my boundary conditions (interactions between soil/earth tubes and building-type56). I was going to set HBACK in type 56 to something very high (to simulate contact with the ground). In the example files and manual, this is not what is done. They place a user defined heat transfer coefficient of 36 kJ/h m^2 K on the back of the surface that is in contact with the ground.

When looking at Kbord in the example parameter control file, it is not equal to 36.

Could someone explain what Kbord and Ssurf are? I'm not sure I get it solely based on the manual

Sébastien Brideau