[TRNSYS-users] (PLEASE)optimization of a solar heating system combined with dual-source heatpump

Dr Yi Zhang yi at jeplus.org
Thu Apr 14 02:47:04 PDT 2016

Ware (?), as you can see, energy consumption and cost may be on very
different scales. It is not logical to add them together to form an
objective. If the cost numbers are much higher than the energy numbers, the
combined objective will be dominated by the cost results, thus dictating the
minimum collector area outcome. You have two options here, to use the life
cycle cost alone as the objective (as the energy cost should have been
factored in), or to switch to a multi-object approach.

Jeff, optimisation should not be that hard. I would suggest trying out
jEPlus+EA or other GA-based tools. In most cases you can throw in all your
design variables and let the algorithms do the hard work. The problem with
the tiered search strategy is that you are likely to narrow down the results
prematurely (i.e. within the ballpark) and miss solutions elsewhere. The
magic with optimisation is that it can give good solutions that you have
never expected to exist. :-)

Regards,

Yi