[TRNSYS-users] (PLEASE)optimization of a solar heating system combined with dual-source heatpump

Michaël Kummert michael.kummert at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 13:54:30 PDT 2016

Dear all,

For the design solutions “found” by optimization to be useful, the simulation must accurately represent the reality and the “cost” that was minimized must effectively represent the overall “performance” of a system. Trusting simulation requires to carefully look at detailed results in simple cases (not just yearly energy or “cost”).

I would therefore not encourage anyone, especially students, to “throw in all their design variables” into any optimization algorithm as soon as their simulation is ready. Jeff’s approach sounds very good to me, start with design parameters that make sense, check that your results and cost function makes sense, and explore (manually or through parametric runs) some design configurations. That way you will learn how the system is affected by its parameters and get a chance to check the plausibility of your results. I am willing to bet that, in the process, you will find some user errors, and possibly identify some bugs/limitations in the models you use. Then as a last step, you could indeed try a multi-objective, multi-parameter optimization, to check whether you might have missed some possible configurations.

Regarding the life cycle cost that always increases with solar collector area: in some (many?) contexts energy savings and renewable energy are in fact not economically viable without subsidies. So yes, it does happen that the “optimum” is not to have any solar collectors. In such cases it can be useful for the client to impose a minimum level of savings (or solar fraction) and formulate the design question as “find me the most cost-effective solution that reaches a minimum solar fraction of …”, rather than “find me the lowest cost design”. Another option is to express the cost of the useful renewable energy over the life cycle (levelized life cycle cost, in $/kWh for example). Again, manually exploring some design options will help you assess whether your cost function is appropriate.

And for those who have registered for the workshop on optimization with TRNSYS at the eSim conference, don’t worry… I will talk about optimization, but adding a grain of salt never hurts.

Michaël Kummert, Polytechnique Montréal