[TRNSYS-users] Unusual solar thermal operation

Edward Halawa Edward.Halawa at unisa.edu.au
Thu Apr 22 17:58:45 PDT 2010

Dear Fred,

>>My solar thermal panels are not producing any heat or elevated temperature. As the temperature of the water inside the panel doesn't exceed the ambient temperature, the pumps never start, and there is no flow. <<

It is hard for someone else to detect the problem unless he/she looks directly into your TRNSYS project. It seems to me that your control doesn't work properly, it may be the signal formulation or its connection (perhaps to pump or collector).

>>I have verified that the connections from the weather file and the rest of the loop are correct. <<
I am familiar with frustration that arises when a TRNSYS project doesn't work as expected. I used to ask a colleague of mine to check the detailed results for me, i.e. the printed results of any outputs from components that I suspect create the problem. You need to create a file (I used to name it check.dat) that saves the printer (TYPE 25) outputs of those components. Using excel, then you (or your colleague) can open the file and go through it line by line to see if the make sense.

In your case, you can try by setting a simulation stop time of say 1 week (168 hrs) or even one day just to include the hours when solar radiation exists.

Try to run the DHW.tpf in the TRNYS \Examples folder and compare it with the one that you developed.

regards,
edward