[TRNSYS-users] Problems with steam flow rate of Type 717 (Absorp. Chiller)

Martin Thur Martin.Thur at BLS-Energieplan.de
Thu Apr 15 03:40:36 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

for my thesis i try to model a trigeneration system (power, heat, cold) including various types of chillers. One of these chillers is Type 717 (Steam-Fired Double-Effect Absorption Chiller) of the TESS Cogen library. In my system I have a sum-up-cooling-demand of various loads. The chilled water setpoint temperature is 6°C and it is assumed that the loads return the chilled water at 12°C. (deltaT=const.). So a changing cooling demand means a changing mass flow rate of chilled water.

Now my problem begins: I used this mass flow rate as the chilled water mass flow rate input for the chiller. I expected that the chiller would, when working at part load, give me a changing needed steam flow rate as an output. But it does not, the steam flow remains constant. Only the chilled water set point temperature and the temperature of the entering cooling water have an impact on the needed steam flow rate. Is that correct? I'm not too familiar with Absorption chillers...

I read in the manual to understand the types calculations but got confused, because the manual talkes about 4 external files but the type just needs 3...

Regards,

Martin