[TRNSYS-users] Time Step

Matt Duffy duffy at tess-inc.com
Wed Sep 23 07:33:34 PDT 2009

Dear Nicola,

I am not quite sure if I interpretted this correctly across our
Italian-English barrier; however, I will offer some tips about choosing an
appropriate time step. First, a good rule-of-thumb is to keep your
timestep in the units of hours. You can do this either by assigning an
appropriate decimal (i.e. 0.125 hr for 7.5 minutes) or by using a string
like the attached jpeg (i.e. 5/60 for a 5 minute timestep, 1/60 for a 1
minute timestep, 25/3600 for a 25 second timestep, etc.). In another note
about timesteps, please realize that controllers in your simulation will
make a control decision once per timestep. Thus, you would not want to
have a 1 hr timestep if you have a controller in your simulation. Last, if
you are concerned about how low you can bring your timestep, simply
decrease it until you notice the results are uneffected or do not change
much.

Best regards,

Matt Duffy