[TRNSYS-users] Tank volume optimisation

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Wed Sep 2 08:31:09 PDT 2009

<I would like to model a micro-CHP system including a storage tank
component. I use the Type 534 from the TESS Library.
I'm now trying to run an optimization process with TRNOpt, and the tank
volume should be one of the optimization variables.
Classically, I would put an equation defining the variable (for ex.,
Tank_Volume) and link to the component, so that TRNOpt recognises the
variable.
However, the tank volume for type 534 has to be defined in an external
plug in, so it isn't a regular "input" or "parameter".
I tried to modify the numerical value in the .dat file of the plug in to
"Tank_Volume", but TRNSys reported an error.>

There are non plug-in versions of the Type 534 storage tank available -
that's probably your best approach (and one we use here at TESS).  As you
suggest, define an equation for tank volume and use it as the parameter
value in the 534 proforma.  Let me know the details of your storage tank
and we'll send you a version without the plug-in.  Or if you're in a
hurry, you could also create your own proforma using the PIO manual
description for Type 534 (.\Tess Models\Documentation\PIO Reference
manual)

Jeff

Jeff Thornton
President - TESS, LLC