[TRNSYS-users] Internal and external shading factors in Type 56

Kersken, Matthias Matthias.Kersken at ibp.fraunhofer.de
Thu Nov 12 02:02:53 PST 2009

Dear Knut!

When modelling a internal shading together with a large glazing in a
TRNSYS-versions below 17 You have to consider the following!

Once the solar radiation as crossed one of Your two zones and (a part of it)
has enters the second zone all the radiation will be threaded as diffuse
radiation.
If You don't use geosurf-factors all the beam-radiation entering entering
the second zone directly will also be handled as diffuse (so set a geosurf
at least in the lower zone !)
and at least You also have the diffuse radiation entering the second zone
directly.
This means in a two-zone-green-house-model You have a very high amount of
diffuse radiation in the zones (of course this effect exists in both
directions between the two zones).

Now the (high) diffuse radiation in the zone is distributed equal to every
m² of zone-wall and windows, this means much more radiation is distributed
back to the glazing (where it came from) as it would be in reality and so
more energy leafs through the glazing as it would in reality.
If the internal shading is active it keeps this high amount of radiation
inside the room and so You may have effects like the room temperature as a
light drop for a moment, when You deactivate Your int. shading.
This may explain Your steep temperature changes (?).
A solution for this problem I don not have at hand (except TRNSYS 17) but
You my try using a low inside reflection of Your shading, this might reduce
this effect.

I think Your assumption concerning the heat transmission in the night being
influenced by the thermal resistance of the shading is correct.
This effect is' expectable and in already worked with it in TRNSYS (16).

With kind regards,
    Matthias Kersken

---

Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Kersken
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter / Abteilung Energiesysteme

Fraunhofer-Institut für Bauphysik
Institutsteil Holzkirchen

Fraunhoferstraße 10
83626 Valley

eMail: Matthias.Kersken at ibp.fraunhofer.de
Telefon 08024 / 643-204
Telefax 08024 / 643-366
www.ibp.fraunhofer.de <http://www.ibp.fraunhofer.de/>

Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Kersken
Research Associate / Department Energy Systems

Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics
Branch Holzkirchen

Fraunhoferstraße 10
D-83626 Valley

eMail:  <mailto:Matthias.Kersken at ibp.fraunhofer.de>