[TRNSYS-users] positions at Transsolar NYC

Erik Olsen olsen at transsolar.com
Wed Jul 8 07:25:48 PDT 2009

Energy and Climate Concept Development and Validation Engineer

Transsolar is a German-based climate engineering firm, and one of the
premier such offices in the world. We are seeking talented, highly
motivated engineers for our New York office.

Transsolar develops and validate concepts for high quality environments
that require minimal energy use. To achieve this we work collaboratively
within the design team from the start of the design process, considering
each step from the standpoint of fundamental thermodynamics. This
generates a climate concept in which form, material, and mechanical
systems are synergistic components of a well-orchestrated climate
control system; and conversely, an environmental control strategy that
is integral to the architectural concept.

We use a wide variety of computer simulation tools to evaluate our
concepts. We perform dynamic thermal simulation using TRNSYS to develop
and validate appropriate, reliable concepts in relationship to the
complex set of factors that is unique to each project. Similarly, we
perform daylight simulations using RADIANCE and computational fluid
dynamics (CFD) using FLUENT.

Transsolar engineers are often specialized in their work, but all carry
out a broad range of tasks. Responsibilities may include but are not
limited to:

*  Design and validation of ongoing projects via TRNSYS, RADIANCE, or
   FLUENT simulation
*  Collaboration with German Transsolar offices
*  Project coordination
*  Participation in meetings and design charettes
*  Graphical representation of climate and energy concepts
*  Writing reports and correspondence
*  Domestic and international travel to project meetings and sites

Engineers with an emphasis on dynamic thermal simulation are our highest
priority, but experts in daylight or CFD are also of interest.

Both entry-level positions and positions for 3-5 years experience are
available.  Our New York office is small but growing, providing ample
opportunity for advancement.

Preferred qualifications include:

*  Proven ability to creatively develop and apply non-traditional
   climate solutions to the indoor environment
*  Education related to building energy flows and building science: heat
   transfer, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, solar geometry and
   daylighting, etc. Ideal is a degree in mechanical engineering. An
   M.S. is preferred but not required.
*  Education/professional experience with architectural and mechanical
   systems for building climate control
*  Experience with dynamic thermal simulation
*  Experience with daylight simulation
*  Experience with computational fluid dynamics in built environment
   applications
*  Excellent oral and written communication skills
*  Familiarity with basics of computational analysis (text-based input,
   computer programming, spreadsheet analysis)
*  Computer-based drawing skills (e.g. Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator,
   etc)

Interested applicants may submit their resume and work samples via email
to nycjobs at transsolar.com