[TRNSYS-users] Convergence problem in the Building-Type

Kersken, Matthias Matthias.Kersken at ibp.fraunhofer.de
Thu Dec 3 07:36:29 PST 2009

Hello!

At the moment I'm simulating a 5-zone-model of a Building.
Two of the rooms are equipped with in sum three heating-grids (modelled
through active layers) (more heating grids will be required in future)
The timestep is 0.25 hours.
The inlet-temperature of the active layers is controlled by an
iterative-feedback-controller in that way, that the average between the
inlet- and the outlet-temperature is equal to the surface-temperature of the
wall containing the active-layer.
Simulation only one room with only one active-layer of this kind the
simulation worked perfectly.
When I transferred the described system to the five-zone-model I got the
following error approximately at hour 90:
"(TYPE56) Convergence of COMIS-TRNSYS not attained within 50max. number of
internal iterations!"
(Respectively the error that this warning occurred to often).

Varying the Tolerances, the timestep and the maximum number of iterations in
the SimulationStudio didn't solve the Problem.
A reduction of the TimeBase is not possible due to the stability-criteria of
the BuildingType is no longer fulfilled.

My conclusion (?) is that the maximal number of iterations within TYPE56 is
independent from maximal number of iterations in the TRNSYS-Deck and this
number is' maximum 50.
That this might not be sufficient for a case as complex as the case at hand
seems reasonable.

Is there a possibility to increase the maximum number of iterations within
Type56 eg. are there any further suggestions?

Thank You!
With kind regards,
    Matthias Kersken

---

Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Kersken
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter / Abteilung Energiesysteme

Fraunhofer-Institut für Bauphysik
Institutsteil Holzkirchen

Fraunhoferstraße 10
83626 Valley

eMail: Matthias.Kersken at ibp.fraunhofer.de
Telefon 08024 / 643-204
Telefax 08024 / 643-366
www.ibp.fraunhofer.de <http://www.ibp.fraunhofer.de/>

Dipl.-Ing. Matthias Kersken
Research Associate / Department Energy Systems

Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics
Branch Holzkirchen

Fraunhoferstraße 10
D-83626 Valley

eMail:  <mailto:Matthias.Kersken at ibp.fraunhofer.de>