[TRNSYS-users] Geoexchange Field Design

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Mon Aug 17 08:42:27 PDT 2009

Is there a way of deciding a specific layout of the bore field using type 557a?

I have one vertical u-tube field type that is around the perimeter of a building, essentially all the pipes in a single row.

The second is a typical vertical u-tube with the bore holes evenly spaced in an array. However that array is not symmetrical.

Also, should I use a type 556 buried horizontal pipe between the bore field and the heat exchanger or a normal type 31 pipe? Is type556 meant to be used as a pipe or as another heat exchange method like type557a? Will the model take into account the volume of the pipe in the calculations so the simulation converges?

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Betz, PhD., LEED AP
Senior Sustainable Design Consultant