[TRNSYS-users] Chilled Water Air Conditioning Systems

knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no knut.erik.enerstvedt at niva.no
Thu Dec 11 01:04:58 PST 2008

Hi Nguan,

I am not an expert on air conditioning systems, but I can always tell you
about my experiences with simulating a chilled water system.

I believe the basic components in such a system are a device for cooling a
water stream, some sort of short term storage for the chilled water and a
device for using the chilled water to cool the building, for example by
cooling an air stream. In my case I used an air cooled water chiller (Type
655), a self made component for thermal energy storage (but I guess you
could use one of the storage tank components in the main TRNSYS or TESS
library) and a fan coil to cool the air. To model a fan coil system, you
need a fan component and a cooling coil component (for example Type 508 or
Type 697). Fan coils are common in offices. To model the water chiller, you
can use either Type 655 or Type 666, depending on whether you want to
produce chilled water by rejecting heat to air or fluid. You can also use
Type 692.

If you need performance data for chillers and fan coils, you can for
example visit www.carrier.com. If you decide to use Type 655, please be
aware that COP ratios should be in the first column in the data file an
capacity ratios in the second column (there is an error about this in the
documentation and example data file).

I hope this was helpful.

Kind regards,
Knut Erik Enerstvedt

             trnsys-users-requ
             est at cae.wisc.edu
             10.12.2008 13:14          trnsys-users at cae.wisc.edu
                                                                        cc

             trnsys-users at cae.         TRNSYS-users Digest, Vol 48, Issue
                 wisc.edu              14

----- Message from "#TEO NGUAN TECK#" <Z050128 at ntu.edu.sg> on Wed, 10 Dec
2008 15:03:03 +0800 -----

        To: <trnsys-users at cae.wisc.edu>

   Subject: [TRNSYS-users] Chilled Water Air Conditioning Systems

Hi ALL,

I have completed my office model using Type56 and it is ready to accept
external cooling equipment.

Now I need advice for setting up a chilled water air conditioning system.
Here’s my queries:

1)      What are the basic components of such a system? I believed it
should consist of a Water chiller (Type 666), Cooling tower (Type 510) and
an air handler unit.
2)      Can I simply use the model available in TRNSYS (i.e. Trnsys16\Tess
Models\Studio Projects\HVAC Library) and build upon it by adding an air
handler unit.
3)      What Is the air handling unit available in TRNSYS I can use for my
case?

Any help is much appreciated.

Nguan Teck
Final Year Undergraduate
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.