[TRNSYS-users] Solar Assisted Heat Pump System

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Mon May 14 10:56:08 PDT 2007

"Since I’m using Trnsys for the first time I have some questions about modelling the heat pump:
Which Type (also from TESS-Library) should I use to model the heat pump? "

I would recommend using Type 504 from the TESS libraries - it was written for exactly this type of situation.

"How can I control the input # 5 “Heating control function” of type 20? Is it calculated internally or has it to be connected with an Output from the solar collector (Output # 1, Type1b, “Outlet Temp”??)."

It's not calculated internally and should not be connected to the solar collector. This input is used to turn the heat pump on and off and should be connected to some device that is sensing the heating demand (the load the heat pump is meeting) - likely a thermostat, aquastat, or equation. You'll also need a controller and some valves to control the flow of water across/around the heat pump. I've attached a simple schematic that may help you set it up.

Jeff

 Jeff Thornton
President - TESS, LLC

2916 Marketplace Drive - Suite 104