[TRNSYS-users] External parameter files and TRNOPT

Diego A. Arias daarias at wisc.edu
Tue Jul 17 08:52:22 PDT 2007

Dear Abdullahi,

> I am using a component that reads some of its parameters from an
> external parameter file. I am looking for the best way to carry out
> optimisation of some of the inputs/parameters. I have the following
> questions if someone will kindly help,
>

>    1. Is there any way to carry out a series of simulations that will
>       read a number of external parameter files and give results for
>       each simulation run?

You can run series of simulations in TRNEdit, using a parametric table.
Please go to the manual, Volume 7, and read the section for 'Parametric
Runs'.

>    1. Is it possible to use TRNOPT to optimise parameters included in
>       an external file?

I would recommend that you take a look at the tutorial for 'Using GenOpt
with TRNSYS 16 and Type 56'.  The implementation can be extended to what
you want to do: modify some parameters in a text file and optimize it
using GenOpt.
http://sel.me.wisc.edu/trnsys/demos/index.html#GenoptType56

>    1. If  2 above is possible, is it also possible to carry out such
>       optimisation when one of the parameters is determined by the
>       node meshing and defined by the parameterisation in the external
>       file?

I would modify the program that writes the parameters so it also
calculates the additional parameter.

Best regards,

Diego

--