[TRNSYS-users] ON/OFF Differential controller

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Tue Jun 18 07:49:38 PDT 2024

But to answer your question, the example and the documentation are both consistent.  Start with the tank half full and the controller off.  When the tank indicates it is empty (state = -1) the controller will start filling the tank

Controller turns ON when input 1 - input 2 > upper deadband

0 - -1 = 1 which is greater than the upper deadband  of 0.9

When the tank indicates it is full (state = 1) the controller will stop filling the tank:

0 - 1 = -1 which is less than the lower deadband of -0.9

You should connect the model to itself so the model can calculate the previous state of the controller correctly.  In some cases you may want the controller to calculate its signal based on the operation of a different controller - in that case you would connect the input of the controller to the status of the other controller (rare).

Jeff/TESS

Sent from my iPhone