[TRNSYS-users] PID controller parameters setting - Cooling coils Type508

George Kyriakarakos gk at aua.gr
Wed Mar 30 00:17:26 PDT 2022

Dear Clement,

Setting the right PID parameters can be tricky if you do it by hand and trial and error runs.

On the other hand it is a very straight forward optimization problem. I would suggest that you couple TRNSYS with GenOPT and use Particle Swarm Optimization.

If you have license for TRNOPT then this is pretty easy to setup just follow TRNOPT manual, if not you will have to follow the following guide:

https://sel.me.wisc.edu/trnsys/demos/genopt-type56.pdf

This guide was prepared since you cannot optimize type56 variables through TRNOPT, but it can be used as a base to understand how to couple TRNSYS and GenOPT if TRNOPT is not available.

As far as PSO parameters are concerned you can use the ones from the publication below – they work really well with engineering problems. You can also get insights on how to formulate cost functions for the optimization process which include technical constraints. For your problem you just need an equation for the outlet air temperature oscillation which you will try to minimize.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0196890415005610

Since you have gone down the TRNSYS route, I would strongly advise you to learn how to do optimizations with heuristics. Even though your current problem is an easy one, optimization through PSO which can handle up to 100 variables both discrete and continuous is an invaluable tool in anything that you might want to do in the future.

Best regards,

George

--

Dr. George Kyriakarakos, Agricultural Engineer
PhD, MSc Energy Systems & Renewable Energy Sources
e-mail:  <mailto:gk at aua.gr> gk at aua.gr

Skype: georgekyriak

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/georgekyr