[TRNSYS-users] Problem with TYPE1270

Biljana Vučićević bee at vinca.rs
Wed Aug 24 05:33:33 PDT 2022

Dear Mr. Bradley,

I made my project of a house with two floors and an attic which has a PCM
layer installed on the ceiling between second floor and attic in TRNSYS 17.
I used a type1270 that we bought a few years ago. I have a number of
problems I can`t solve.

- When I use Type1270b (built-in component) it reports "fatal error in
Trnsys" even though the example from the HighRiseWithPCM folder works in
Trnsys17 that I have installed on my computer.

- When I use Type1270a (custom component), the project can be run in
Simulation studio, but there seems to be no interaction between the building
and the PCM layer. The results indicate that the temperature of the PCM
layer is equal to zero during simulation period of one year.

I connected all components as it given in the example HighRiseWithPCM.

- Also, if I put that the PCM melting temperature is lower than the
solidification temperature, simulation in SIMULATION STUDIO can be started.
But, if these temperatures are equal or the melting temperature is slightly
higher than the solidification temperature (such as for example for coconut
oil), then it does not work.

Please help me find what is causing this. I don't know what I did wrong.

I point up that we also have a license for TRNSYS 18 and that I can install
it if the version of the program is the cause for some of these problems.

Kind regards,

Biljana Vučićević

Biljana Vučićević, Ph. D. Mech. Eng.

Associate Research Professor

VINČA INSTITUTE OF NUCLEAR SCIENCES

Laboratory for Thermal Engineering and Energy

Phone:    +381 11 3408 352

E-mail:       bee at vinca.rs <mailto:bee at vinca.rs>