[TRNSYS-users] Vertical thermal storage tank - type158 vs type534

Pouyan Talebizadehsardari (Staff) Pouyan.Talebizadehsardari at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 06:33:38 PDT 2021

Dear All,

I am modelling a heating system using a hot water storage tank without any heater. There are two types of cylindrical thermal storage tanks in a vertical direction:
Type158
Type534-NoHX
I run my simulation with these storage tanks separately considering same parameters including capacity, loss coefficient and flow rates. It should be noted that in default values of heat loss coefficient, the values are twice higher in Type534 compared with type158 and I don't know why.
In Type534, the temperatures at the inlet and outlet of the tank for port 1 are as follows:

[cid:image005.jpg at 01D7CB3F.A0BE8E60]

While for type 158, the temperature variations are as follows:

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D7CB3F.A0BE8E60]

It seems that in type534, the TES losses energy faster and so needs to gain energy from the heat source quicker. The total heat delivered to the fluid before entering to port 1 is higher for type534 compared with type 158.

Does anyone know the problem and know what is exactly the difference between them?

Kind regards
Pouyan