[TRNSYS-users] Modulating ground source heat pump

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Sat May 29 08:10:25 PDT 2021

Mandrel,

Modulating heat pumps can be a bit tricky to simulate - and mostly due to the controls.  Are you going to feed the heat pump the loads or do you want to operate in pure temperature level control?  If you want to just pass in loads and have the heat pump meet them then that’s pretty easy to do.  If you want the heat pump to respond to zone conditions then you’ll need to use a detailed controller that takes the zone temperature and calculates the fraction of operating speed of the heat pump.  The other option is to have the heat pump always deliver a user-specified outlet water temperature.  These models exist typically as chillers in trnsys but we have a new set ready for the Tess library update where they can be set to deliver either a fixed hot-side or cold-side temperature.

The library updates are going well and we hope to put them out late this summer.  It’s been a tremendous amount of work - more so than we originally planned!!

Jeff / TESS

Sent from my iPhone