[TRNSYS-users] Type99 incidence angle for tracking mode 3

Brandon Hathaway brandon.hathaway at sunvapor.net
Mon Aug 10 20:02:51 PDT 2020

Hey all,

I'm using the Type99 user defined data reader and radiation processor and
am receiving very unrealistic values of the incidence angle.  I'm reading
data for location in California at 119.98 W, 35.69 N, and have provided the
header to the data file as shown below:

[image: image.png]

Here's how July 1st looks like in terms of the Incidence angle from the
Type99 (red line) and the Type15 (orange line) for nearby Fresno CA.

[image: image.png]

Doing the solar geometry calculations by hand, the Type15 is spot-on, but
clearly the Type99 isn't.  In both types I am specifying Tracking Mode 3
and both the slope and azimuth of the surface is set as zero for tracking
along a N-S axis with no slope.

Is there something I should be doing differently? Or is this an issue
within the Type99 source that needs editing?

Thanks for your help!
-Brandon