[TRNSYS-users] Nominal values for type 927

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Mon Sep 16 18:23:47 PDT 2019

Emre,

You need to be a bit careful here. The parameters you list in your
message that are listed on the spec sheet for the EXW060 heat pump are
at a given set of conditions chosen by the manufacturer for a given
rating condition (water loop heat pump, ground loop heat pump etc.).
They may be VERY different from the rating condition assumed by the
model. Each external data file that is created for Type 927 is
normalized to a given rating condition and it's imperative that the user
enter the parameters at the specified rating condition. This rating
condition is typically listed at the bottom of the external data file.
In the case of Type 927, the default heating performance data file
lists:

!Trane WPWD 024 Normalized at Load 7 gpm 80.0 EWT, Source 7 gpm 50.0 EWT

A closer look at this data file shows that it accounts for three load
flow rates (smaller, normal, larger), three source flow rates (smaller,
normal, larger), and a variety of source and load inlet temperatures. To
use this model correctly, the user would enter the capacity and power at
the normal load flow, normal source flow, a 80 F inlet load temperature
and a 50 F entering source temperature. From the limited screen capture
you posted, the normal flow rates would be 12.5 gpm for both source and
load (the middle of the 3 flows). Unfortunately your screen capture ends
ONE LINE from me being able to tell you exactly what the numbers should
be at 50 F source, 80 F load and 12.5 gpm for both source and load
flows. But it's on the next line down from the end of your screen
capture; likely right around 88,000 BTU/hr and 2.4 kW.
Rated heating capacity per heat pump : 88,000 Btuh
Rated heating power per heat pump : 2.4 kW
Rated source flowrate per heat pump : 12.5 gpm
Rated load flowrate per heat pump : 12.5 gpm

<Second thing I entered Rated heating capacity = 64252 kj/hr and rated
heating power 17847 kj/hr in type 927. then I looked heat pump power
consumption with plotter. the value is going about 24000 kj/hr .Is this
logical , can heat pump power consuption would be greater than nominal
power consumption?>

Absolutely it can. The parameters you enter are at a set of conditions
as I just described. Warmer source temperatures, cooler load
temperatures, and increases in flow rate can results in heating
capacities higher than that at the rating conditions.

If you look back through the archive and check the documentation, you'll
find hints and tips to create your own external data files for the exact
heat pump that you are using.

Jeff

---

Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
3 N. Pinckney Street, Suite 202, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com