[TRNSYS-users] Detailed radiation model

Łukasz Wątły lukaszwatly92 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 00:42:27 PDT 2018

Dear All,

I have desgined in SketchUP a single thermal zone with 3 airnodes placed on
different heights (*10*, *60*, *110* cm). I used a *Virtual Surface* option
to model the surfaces which, after exporting them to TRNBuild, could
dissapear.

In my simulation of the zone, I would like to obtain three values of
Tairnode, Toperative and mean radiant temperature for each airnode.
Unfortunately, when I perform simulation in TRNSYS, all three values of
mean radiant temperatures are the same. This I did with the radiation model
set to *standard*.

When I am trying to use the *detailed* radiation model, I got two error
informations:

*-* ==== zone GROUND_FLOOR_10... ... ERROR in summing view factors of
surface 4. Please check geometry!!!.

*-* Error while creating VFM file.
+++ Note: Zones have to be convex and closed volumes.
          Surfaces must have an outwarding normal.

This causes the situation that I am unable to open the .vfm file in TRNSYS
and cannot get the mean radiant temperature values.

I assume that the problem is caused by the fact that my model might not be
a closed volume, due to the virtual surfaces I have created in SketchUP. So
my question is, is there another way to get the MRT values for each
airnodes separetely?

The view factor of *surface 4* is set to 0.5 automatically, as it is one of
the vertical walls.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,
Lukasz Watly