[TRNSYS-users] Doubt about Type 997

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Thu Jun 7 18:33:49 PDT 2018

Well if the temperatures didn't depend on time then it wouldn't be a
very useful model now would it? LOL The temperatures are written at the
end of the simulation. It's done this way to avoid the HUGE data files
that could result if the temperature field was written every time step.
If you want to see how the soil temperatures progress with time then
you'll have to either modify the source code or run a series of
simulations each ending at a different point in time.

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
22 N. Carroll Street, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com

On 06/07/2018 6:42 pm, Ale Vargas via TRNSYS-users wrote:

> Thank you very much! I understood everything you explained, but temperatures of nodes don't depend on time? When we see the external file, just gives 1 temperature for each node (this temperature is the mean?). I need to know how temperature of the soil at 2 meters depth varies on the time, so I need disturbed temperature of soil by the horizontal heat exchanger (type 77 doesn't work in this case)
>
> How can I obtain this temperature in TRNSYS?
>
> Thanks in advance!

> The Type 997 output files follow a simple format that is described below. Registered users have access to a brand new soil temperature viewer that shows the temperature field in any of the 3 planar views. But to your question:
>
> First imagine that you are looking down on the soil from above as you would a piece of paper on your desk. Moving from left to right is the x-direction (i), moving from bottom to top is the y-direction (j), and moving down from the surface is the z-direction (k). Therefore the lower left corner of your "paper", at the surface, is node (1,1,1). The bottom right corner at the soil surface would be (NX,1,1), the upper left corner at the surface would be (1,NY,1) and the upper right corner at the surface would be (NX,NY,1). In a similar manner, the lower left corner of your paper at the very bottom of the soil field would be (1,1,NZ). With that in mind the format of the file is then:
>
> NX NY NZ !Number of nodes in x, y and z directions
> DX(1) DX(2)....DX(NX) !The size of the nodes in the x-direction
> DY(1) DY(2)....DY(NY) !The size of the nodes in the y-direction
> DZ(1) DZ(2)....DX(NZ) !The size of the nodes in the z-direction
>
> These lines are supplied only once. The following lines are repeated in patterns for for each vertical node. Let's assume 3 nodes in the x-direction, 4-nodes in the y-direction and 3 nodes in the z-direction so you can see the pattern
>
> *Vertical Layer = 1
> T(1,4,,1) T(2,4,1) T(3,4,1)
> T(1,3,,1) T(2,3,1) T(3,3,1)
> T(1,2,,1) T(2,2,1) T(3,2,1)
> T(1,1,,1) T(2,1,1) T(3,1,1)
> *Vertical Layer = 2
> T(1,4,,2) T(2,4,2) T(3,4,2)
> T(1,3,,2) T(2,3,2) T(3,3,2)
> T(1,2,,2) T(2,2,2) T(3,2,2)
> T(1,1,,2) T(2,1,2) T(3,1,2)
> *Vertical Layer = 3
> T(1,4,,3) T(2,4,3) T(3,4,3)
> T(1,3,,3) T(2,3,3) T(3,3,3)
> T(1,2,,3) T(2,2,3) T(3,2,3)
> T(1,1,,3) T(2,1,3) T(3,1,3)
>
> So if you don't want to use the temperature viewer, you could figure out which z-layer occurs at the 2 meter depth and grab those temperatures in the x-y plane and put them into Excel or any other graphing package. The nice thing about the temperature viewer is that it accounts for the different sizes of nodes where Excel will not (well not easily).
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jeff
>
> ---
> [...]

Alejandra Vargas Cáceres
 Estudiante Ingeniería Civil Mecánica
 Facultad de Ciencias Físicas y Matemáticas
 Universidad de Chile

[2]

Links:
------