[TRNSYS-users] Type 71 Evacuated tube collector - Control vs. overheating

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Wed Feb 28 11:35:01 PST 2018

Maverick,

Your 3rd control shuts off the pump when the collector temperature
exceeds 110 C.  But once the pump shuts off, the collector will stagnate
and reach very high temperatures with no flow through the collectors.
In this case, the 3rd control should probably sense the outlet
temperature of the pipe leaving the collector and not the collector
itself.  This way you're getting the overheat protection when there is
flow.

As for the quick temperature rise in winter, I'll point out that Type 71
does not include the impact of mass.  So temperatures will rise and fall
very quickly.  The TESS version of the evacuated tube model accounts for
the mass and should behave much as you expect it to.

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
22 N. Carroll Street, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577  Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com