[TRNSYS-users] TYPE 460 - Link Upper surface to ambient

via TRNSYS-users trnsys-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Tue Jan 3 07:43:55 PST 2017

Good day to you all!

I am running a simulation which involves a EAHX burried in the ground with the upper surface to ambient air.

Pipe is at 0.5 m depth, has 0.6 m diameter and I am looking at the effect of length on the outlet temperature.

However, I run into a problem as the outlet air temperature is greater than the soil temprature I believe.

The simulation runs with a weather file from Montreal, Canada, and winter temperatures make the soil freeze to 1.2 m in depth. This implies that the soil would be below 0 °C, and the outlet temperature is above that, even at the end of winter, where it is impossible that the soil has not freezed up.

This lead me to another question:
I have linked the ambient temperature to the upper surface of the EAHX module, with a surface resistance of 20
W/K-m2 (72 kJ/hr-K-m2). Would it be better to use the horizontal irradiation as an energy input instead of the temperature input?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and happy new year!

Olivier Quevillon

Étudiant à la maîtrise en Génie Mécanique
École de Technologie Supérieure