[TRNSYS-users] General tips for programming a component?

Javier Vega via TRNSYS-users trnsys-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Wed Feb 8 09:41:47 PST 2017

Hello TRNSYS users,

I'm starting my own heat pump component model. A couple of weeks ago I read
a good portion of the programmer's guide and I've already finished my
looooong variables declaration. Now, I'm about to start with the equations.

 I've just done programs in MATLAB so it's my first time using FORTRAN (and
FORTRAN in trnsys environement).  I just want to ask for a few general tips
for programming this.

The most important thing I would like to know is if there is a way to
detect programing mistakes (for example: typing mistakes) before it gets
too tricky to detect them afterwards. The other thing I don't remember
reading (or understanding...) in the programmer's guide is how to solve
system of equations by iterating. Do I have to use a specific access
function? I'm basing my model on an EES component that solves all the
equations simultaneously.

Thanks for your help, greetings from

Javier Vega Benavente
Mechanical Engineer and Mechanical Engineering Magister student from
Universidad de Concepcion, Chile