[TRNSYS-users] Energy losses on solar collector's heat exchanger before the loop starts

Jeff Thornton via TRNSYS-users trnsys-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Tue Dec 13 12:39:46 PST 2016

Javier,

It might help to send the printers, integrators and output devices to a
hidden layer so we can see your project a bit more clearly, but I do
have one question. Are you using the outputs of the solar collectors to
set the flow rates in their respective loops? Both 538 and 539 will
calculate the required flow rate to meet the desired outlet temperature.
This flow rate will need to be identical throughout that loop (pumps,
tanks etc.). Double check that first. Otherwise I may suggest that you
remove the capacitance from the collector and add a few pipes in each
loop. There are times that the control algorithms will deliver
strange-looking results with collectors with mass.

The ideal way to handle this situation is to have a control collector (a
collector that sees the same inlet temperature, ambient temperature and
solar radiation but has no mass). This control collector is then used to
set the flow rate for the real loop which contains the collectors with
mass. We use that approach routinely and with good results.

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
22 N. Carroll Street, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com