[TRNSYS-users] Type 557b thermal resistance

Karl Woldum Tordrup (KART) | VIA kart at via.dk
Thu Apr 21 01:49:30 PDT 2016

Dear all

Does anyone know the details of how the borehole thermal resistance is handled in type 557b. I have an estimate for the effective borehole resistance from a thermal response test and guessed I could use this value for "Fluid to ground resistance" (parameter 11) if I set "Negative of pipe to pipe resistance" (parameter 12) to zero. I gather the units for the resistance should be [ m K h/kJ], however I have run a TRNOPT optimization using operational data from the site and get back reasonable estimates for the storage thermal conductivity and heat capacity while the estimated thermal resistance is off roughly by a factor of 10. This seems to indicate I am not using the model correctly.

I would be most grateful if anyone can offer any insight.

Best regards

Karl Woldum Tordrup, ph.d.
Associate professor

Centre of Applied Research & Development in Building, Energy & Environment
VIA University College
Chr. M. Østergaards Vej 4
DK-8700 Horsens

T: +45 87 55 42 25