[TRNSYS-users] (PLEASE)optimization of a solar heating system combined with dual-source heatpump

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Wed Apr 13 14:08:03 PDT 2016

<I want to find the best configuration of the system (include the area
of the collectors, the angle of azimuth&dip of the collector, the
constant flowrate of the collectors, the volume of the storage tank )
.when i simulated it in trnsys and genopt using PSO ,i tried to set the
object function as the sum of energy consumption in a year or the life
circle cost of the system ,it turned out that the optimised area of
collector is awalys to be the low limit of the collectors range i set in
the genopt, may be it is the truth,i am confused.>

Set the tank volume to something reasonable with typical flow rates. Set
the collector slope to the latitude and the azimuth facing the equator.
Run a simple parametric study and look at the life cycle cost of the
system as a function of the collector area. It is VERY possible that the
system will show increasing life cycle cost with increasing collector
area - especially in a climate without a great solar resource.

<Has anyone has the experience of optimization in similar system?how to
confirm the best area of collector of the system?>

We do optimizations on systems like this all the time but we don't ever
start with a 5 variable optimization. We'll use the Hooke-Jeeves
algorithm on the tank volume and array area to get us in the right
ballpark (with slope = latitude and south facing collectors at standard
flow rates). Once you are in the ballpark then you can expand to more
variables and have some hope of finding a solution with that many
variables.

Jeff

---
Jeff Thornton
President - TESS LLC
22 N. Carroll Street, Madison WI USA 53703
Office: (608) 274-2577 Fax: (608) 278-1475
www.tess-inc.com
E-Mail: thornton at tess-inc.com