[TRNSYS-users] How to calculate electricity consumption by a house?

Alastair McDowell alastair.mcdowell at energyae.com
Sun Oct 4 18:11:49 PDT 2015

Hi Sandeep,

There is no type to specifically calculate electricity consumption of a house. You will have to do some calculations in the Studio to sum up all the electrical energy usage throughout the year.

For example, if your lighting scheme is controlled by a timing schedule or control function, you can sum up (using a Type 24 integrator) the total period of time that the output control signal was on, and multiply by the electrical energy consumption of the unit. Remember the base units of energy rate (kJ/hr) multiplied by hours on (hr) will output the energy in kJ, easily converted to kWh.

If using a schedule within TRNBuild, you can output the value of the schedule by creating a new airnode output, NType 28 gives the value of all schedules. Double click to specify which schedule to output.

Depending on what type of heat pump you are using, look through the outputs to determine the electrical energy usage of the heat pump. For example Type 941 air-water heat pump, output 15 gives the total heat pump power (compressor + controls + blower) which also includes auxiliary heating. Integrate this power over the year to find the total electrical energy consumption of the heat pump.

I hope this answers your question.
Kind regards,
Alastair McDowell
Engineering Consultant
Energy Analysis & Engineering - Enabling innovation for a sustainable future
T: +61 450 600 842