[TRNSYS-users] The example TRNSYS project "Electrolyzer controller"

SUNLIANG CAO caosunliang at msn.com
Tue Sep 16 05:36:25 PDT 2014

Dear all,

I am checking the example project "elctrolyzer controller" in the trnsys example folder (%Trnsys17%Examples/Electrolyzer controller.tpf)

I have several questions about this example.

(1) About the power conditioning unit Type 175: the 3rd parameter is "P0Pn" which according to the trnsys proforma description is "idling constant, i.e. the ratio between the constant power losses and nominal power". However, in the TRNSYS 17 mathematical reference, it is defined as "the ratio of P0 to Pn, while P0 is idling power".

I am wondering whether this P0 is "the idling power of the electrolyzer" or "the idling power of the power conditioning unit itself", or the "power losses of the power conditioning unit". If it is the idling power of the electrolyzer, then P0 should be equal to the 4th parameter of Type 100a ("PIDLE").

(2) I feel that in this electrolyzer controller example, the Type175b (Power output is known) should be replaced by Type 175a (Power input is known). I can see that the Type 175 in this example is receiving the renewable sourced power (Type 194 PV power via controller Type 100a) rather than certain kind of load. Or is there any special reason here that the Type 175b is used?

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,
Sunliang