[TRNSYS-users] PID controller parameters setting

Ben Heymer bheymer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 06:54:15 PDT 2014

I recommend that you first consider using a different Type of cooling coil
that does internal flow control calculations (such as Type508c).

PID controllers are useful in real machines, where things may change every
millisecond. In simulations with reasonable timesteps of 1 minute or
longer, PI controllers, or even just proportional controllers should be
enough.

There is also an iterative controller (Type 22), which will slow the model
down, but is capable of controlling as you would expect a real PID to
behave.

I have also had some luck in TRNSYS using simple feed-forward type
controls, where you predict the output using a simple equation then adjust
that output with a proportional controller. For example:
control signal = predicted signal f(input 1, input 2) + adjustment f(actual
result - desired result)

Ben Heymer. PE