[TRNSYS-users] Is there any difference between running simulation for a flat or entire storey in a residential apartment?

leen peeters l.f.r.peeters at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 09:33:04 PST 2014

Dear,

there is indeed a difference, there are actually a lot of differences ...

   - wind load is different as function of height, thus are convective heat
   losses
   - transmission losses depend on external surface area, so the lowest and
   highest flat will have different values there

Besides that, a cooling load is strongly determined by internal heat gains
and solar radiation. So, in case the solar exposure between south and west
(at building and float level) differs, as do the internal gains, you have
to subdivide into multiple zones. Furthermore, comfort temperatures are
zone dependent... so you will probably want to make a difference on that as
well.

The question on how to model the elevator is more difficult to answer. It
depends on what you need to know from it. If the common areas are not
cooled, it might be OK to treat them as a single zone. Check whether a
temperature difference of a few degrees in the common areas makes a
difference on the cooling load within the flats or not ...

Leen