[TRNSYS-users] Long wave radiation heat exchange and number of surfaces

marcello.caciolo at cofelyaxima-gdfsuez.com marcello.caciolo at cofelyaxima-gdfsuez.com
Fri Feb 21 06:54:24 PST 2014

Dear TRNSYS users,

I have a very simple non-geometrical type 56 model with one zone with two surfaces: one boundary surface of 40 m2 and an external surface of 400 m2. External condition and boundary temperature are held constants.

When I plott surface temperatures and heat exchange between the two surfaces, I found a very large long wave radiation exchange between the two surfaces.

By hand calculation (Q=sigma S (T1^4 - T2^4), whit S = area of the little surface), I found that the value given of heat exchange by radiation by TRNSYS is about ten times larger than what I expected. Indeed, it seems that value given by TRNSYS is near to the value given by the same equation but considering the largest surface area.

However, if I split the external surface in two surfaces of half the area, the value calculated by TRNSYS is reduced of about 7 times. If I split again these surfaces, radiation exchange continue to drop but more slightly, tending to a value near the one calculated by hand.

My question is : have you already found the same behavior? Is there a recommendation to define at least three surfaces in a zone in order to calculate properly heat exchange by radiation?

Thank you for your help!
Best regards,
Marcello Caciolo
Responsable Outils et Méthodes d'Analyse Energétique
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CF2F1B.B84CFF30]

Cellule Efficacité Energétique et Environnementale - Pôle Projets et Réalisations
46 Boulevard de la Prairie au Duc
BP 40119 - 44201 Nantes Cedex 02
Tél.: +33 02 40 41 06 57
marcello.caciolo at cofelyaxima-gdfsuez.com<mailto:prenom.nom at aximaseitha-gdfsuez.com>
P Pensez à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce message