[TRNSYS-users] Persistent questioning about window definition in WINDOW6

Marion Hiller Hiller at Transsolar.com
Tue Sep 10 03:36:38 PDT 2013

Pauline Gelin,

the resulting u-value is dependent on the boundary conditions. Type 56 take the current boundary conditions (actual temperatures etc.)
whereas WINDOW takes fixed conditions according to the selected standard. This means in order to have the same values you need
to have the same boundary conditions.

The u-values displayed in the window type manager are read from the footer lines which are added to the WINDOW report file.
If you create a new glazing you have to add these values manually.

Without looking at your project it is impossible to give further advice. B4_QT is a zone output for all surfaces of a zone.
I have no clear view on how you use this output for calculating the u-value of a window.

However, the following explains the calculation principles of Type 56 a little.

Type56 – glazing modeling

In the window type manager you can select 5 options for calculating the spacer:
If you select ID-Spacer = 0 it uses the data from the WINDOW report (this includes the height and width of the glazing).
Otherwise, it uses the selected space condition of no spacer.

Type 56 divides the glazing area into glazing and edge area. The “edge area” is defined as
63.5mm wide band at glass periphery. The region inside this is what is called "center of glass".
The height and width of the glazing defined the window type manager and  the WINDOW report file, respectively.

Type 56 calculates the area weighted conduction values for the total glazing based on temperature dependent
u-values for edge and  center of glass under the current conditions.

Type 56 - FRAME modeling
TRNSYS doesn’t use the frame data from the WINDOW report file.

In principle there are two ways of simulating the frame:

1.)     Define the frame as a wall
This is the precise way to do it because the frame has it’s own surface temperature (independent from the window)
in the solving processing in Type 56. However, it is more effort to define it.

Define frame properties like frame fraction, solar absorption, emissivity, conduction (1/Rcond) in window type
Type 56 calculates a temperature depending resulting for the glazing (including edge effect and shading)
and then applies a simple area weighting to the conduction:

Best regards,

Marion

Dipl.-Ing. Marion Hiller

Transsolar Energietechnik GmbH
Curiestraße 2
70563 Stuttgart
Telefon: +49 711 67976-0
http://www.trnsys.de<http://www.trnsys.de/>

Transsolar: KlimaEngineering- Technologien für energieeffizientes Bauen und Nutzerkomfort in Gebäuden
Stuttgart – München – New York – Paris
Geschäftsführer :Diplom-Ingenieur Matthias Schuler, Diplom-Ingenieur Thomas Auer, Diplom-Physiker Stefan Holst, Diplom-Betriebswirt Dieter Schnelle
Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 23347,