[TRNSYS-users] building modeling

jeannieboef jeannieboef at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 23 04:20:14 PDT 2012

Usually, zone calculations are done using the enclosed space as zone.
Sometimes the zone could incorporate more than one level, where the
inbetween constructions could still be incorporated for thermal mass
effects and influence radiation and convection exchanges. Zones should
be defined as thermal blocks, I.e. those enclosed spaces that will
experience the same air temperature and connected to the same
mechanical and electrical building systems are often lumped into one
zone.

The common wall that you are talking about is usually split. The heat
transfer is calculated though each area of wall to the adjacent space.
If you used the whole wall, the poor program would have to virtually
split the wall in any event to see different dTs across the virtually
split areas, calculate the heat transfer across each and assign heat
loss or gain the the corrosponding zones. I don't think the software
does this as standard. far easier for the user to split the wall.

Sent from my iPhone