[TRNSYS-users] [EnergyPlus_Support] Experimental Data for PCM Modeling Validation

CleanTech Analytics jeremiah at cleantechanalytics.com
Sat Mar 3 08:18:00 PST 2012

Saleh,

My latest data on the BioPCM technology is attached in the document called
BioPCM Energy Plus Objects. It has temperature enthalpy sets for the
following melt temperatures: Q21, Q23, Q25, Q29.
I do not yet have data on the microtek, BASF, and DuPont products, but the
microtek is not commercially available yet, and the BASF & DuPont products
can not be installed in the USA because they are a fire hazard so the
BioPCM is the defacto only commercially viable product for the USA. I have
attached a file with info on the BioPCM technology as well as an image of
the BioPCMat product..

The ramp on the Q21 is .5C/min, and the others are 1C/min, all using
dynamic DSC testing.  I have requested for each of the melt temps to be
tested using isothermal stepped DSC testing. Question-- Could/would you
want to do T history and/or isothermal stepped testing, if so I can have
samples of each sent to you on Monday, as the lab I have at my disposal is
saying that it may take 250 hours to do the isothermal stepped tests, and
my math says that it should take more like 20 hours (how long would you say
it should take?) I have also attached are three files on testing methods
for your review..

Also thank you for all the recent advise, I now have my model working for a
small room and did figure out how to get energy savings. What I did was use
the internal source sink layers construction object and change the
convergence limits and it now works very well.

Here is a link to my visualization of a recent simulation run for Denver CO
that shows 25.2% savings (The same file ran in Eugene Oregon shows 12.6%)

   -
   https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag7cD5ZV9QwRdGdmMThETElEaGJNWUQ3ZGU1MEZRcEE

Lastly I have attached two files that I found to be very interesting with
regards to parametric modeling PCM's, one by Saylor on enhanced comfort in
passive house and the other on an office building and more.. (see pages
50+)
I figure these files may give you some ideas about possible parametric
analysis that might be done.

Best of luck on your code project, and I will send you the next data as
soon as I get it (hot of the DSC....:)

--
*Jeremiah D. Crossett*
*CleanTech Analytics*

*

This document may contain valuable information proprietary to CleanTech
Analytics which is private and confidential. It may not be shared, copied,
stored or transmitted in any form without the prior written consent of
CleanTech Analytics
*