[TRNSYS-users] New TESS Solar components

Jeff Thornton thornton at tess-inc.com
Thu Jun 14 15:30:58 PDT 2012

<Also, I was familiar with the 1D IAM datafile format for a
collector that follows the zenith/altitude angle of the sun, but I am
unfamiliar with how to setup a 2D IAM file for such a collector. The
default proforma for the type1288 component references a sample 2D IAM
file, so I assume 2D is applicable and 1D is not. If the collector will
track the altitude angle automatically, why do I need a 2D IAM
datafile?>

There are three TESS models that incoporate the test
results from the EN12975-2 collector standard.

Type 1288 takes a 2-D
IAM file based on the longitudinal and transverse angles

Type 1289
takes a 1-D IAM file based on the incidence angle for beam radiation

Type 1290 takes the b0 and b1 parameters popularized by ASHRAE for the
1-D IAM calculations based on the incidence angle of beam radiation

answer your question about why you would need 2-D IAMs, it's the most
rigorous of all the solutions - by far. The collector you are studying
may track the altitude angle automatically but another collector may not
track at all. Or the user may want to study the impact of imperfect
tracking, or limitations in the tracking angles. The other reason is
much simpler - many collector tests report 2-D IAMs for tracking
collectors based on the longitudinal and transverse angles. That's why
there are three version (88,89,90), differing only in IAM. Just there to
give the user an option corresponding to the information he/she may have
available.

Jeff

Jeff Thornton

President - TESS