[TRNSYS-users] Parametric simulation varying wall properties

CleanTech Analytics jeremiah at cleantechanalytics.com
Tue Jul 31 19:35:47 PDT 2012

Genopt is excellent- but is an optimisation tool rather then just
parametrics- while je+ is specifically for parametric studies- many may not
be as familiar in the TRNSYS group as je+ just recently added TRNSYS
capabilities (it has been an Energy Plus tool for years)

The support is great- and the tool free. Also it is rather user friendly..

Below is some info from the je+ website (you must create an account to view
the TRNSYS info or to download the tool)
http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jeplus/wiki/doku.php

jEPlus + TRNSYS

*[This page is now redundant as TRNSYS support is released with jEPlus v1.3]
*

Due to demand for using jEPlus functions with TRNSYS simulations, we have
started working on developing a jEPlus-style wrapper for TRNSYS.
TRNSYS Overview

TRNSYS is a transient systems simulation program with a modular structure.
It recognizes a system description language in which the user specifies the
components that constitute the system and the manner in which they are
connected. The TRNSYS library includes many of the components commonly
found in thermal and electrical energy systems, as well as component
routines to handle input of weather data or other time-dependent forcing
functions and output of simulation results. The modular nature of TRNSYS
gives the program tremendous flexibility, and facilitates the addition to
the program of mathematical models not included in the standard TRNSYS
library. TRNSYS is well suited to detailed analyses of any system whose
behaviour is dependent on the passage of time. TRNSYS has become reference
software for researchers and engineers around the world. Main applications
include: solar systems (solar thermal and photovoltaic systems), low energy
buildings and HVAC systems, renewable energy systems, cogeneration, fuel
cells.
TRNSYS Project

TRNSYS consists of a suite of programs: The TRNSYS Simulation Studio, the
simulation engine (TRNDll.dll) and its executable (TRNExe.exe), the
Building input data visual interface (TRNBuild.exe), and the Editor used to
create stand-alone redistributable programs known as TRNSED applications
(TRNEdit.exe).

A TRNSYS project is typically setup by connecting components graphically in
the Simulation Studio. Each Type of component is described by a
mathematical model in the TRNSYS simulation engine and has a set of
matching Proforma's in the Simulation Studio The proforma has a black-box
description of a component: inputs, outputs, parameters, etc. The
Simulation Studio generates a text input file for the TRNSYS simulation
engine. That input file is referred to as the deck file.

Model Structure

TRNSYS is a modular program in which models of individual energy system
components are written and then connected together to form an overall
system model. These models can be based on fundamental principles or
formulated from empirical performance data for a given system component.
The component inputs and outputs are linked together in a TRNSYS deck file
(.dck) to form a large set of algebraic and differential equations
describing the entire system required for simulation. TRNSYS decks can also
be formatted as TRNSED files (.trd). A TRNSED file is a user-friendly
front-end for the TRNSYS deck which allows a non-expert to operate the
simulation without knowledge of the details of the syntax required by
TRNSYS.
Running TRNSYS

TRNSYS must be properly installed, it means that: “Exe” folder, “UserLib”
folder and “user17.id” file have to work correctly and are located in the
same directory (or folder) for each project.

It is possible to run TRNSYS in batch mode with the command line:

”..\Exe\TRNExe.exe” “model.dck” /h

or

”..\Exe\TRNExe.exe” “model.trd” /h

The ”/h” switch makes TRNSYS completely invisible (you can check that it is
running by launching Windows' task manager and look for a process called
TRNExe).
Edit Deck file(s)
Output file(s)

User specified file name(s) using a 'printer' type. Format is user-defined;
CSV format is preferred.

a very useful tool that allows you to view dozens of output variables
during a simulation.

*Jeremiah D. Crossett*
*CleanTech Analytics*
*503-688-8951*
*www.cleantechanalytics.com* <http://www.cleantechanalytics.com>

*

This document may contain valuable information proprietary to CleanTech
Analytics which is private and confidential. It may not be shared, copied,
stored or transmitted in any form without the prior written consent of
CleanTech Analytics
*