[TRNSYS-users] Thermal bridges/Cold bridges in TRNBuild

Schrade, Johannes Johannes.Schrade at ibp.fraunhofer.de
Tue Jul 17 01:31:49 PDT 2012

Dear Anne-Kathrin,

as cold bridges are either linear or punctual, the dimension of the resistance for the cold bridge effect must be - to my understanding -either  [hmK/kJ] or [hK/kJ].

If you are analyzing the cold bridges of a building envelope in detail, you would work out the length of connections between adjacent building elements, length of window sills or balcony slabs, the perimeter of windows, etc., so you normally would enter the length of the cold bridge.

If I understand you right, you want to consider the cold bridges by a common additional value (according to DIN 4108-2). In such a case, I would define a resistance for the cold bridge and then I would determine, dependent on the area of the external elements, which are affected by the addition value, the total transmission losses due to cold bridges. Based on the defined resistance and the determined transmission looses, you can calculate the equivalent length of the cold bridge.

In a previous post, David Bradley addressed that problem with the dimensions of the u-value in the context with cold bridges. He explained that the displayed u-value in the wall type manager is incorrect, however, as the u-value displayed in the wall type manager is not used in the calculation, this error would not affect the results. (see also following mail).

Kind regards,

Johannes

Johannes Schrade
Abteilung Wärmetechnik

Fraunhofer-Institut für Bauphysik
Nobelstr. 12
70569 Stuttgart

johannes.schrade at ibp.fraunhofer.de <mailto:johannes.schrade at ibp.fraunhofer.de>
Telefon 0711 / 970-3416
Telefax 0711 / 970-3399
www.ibp.fraunhofer.de/wt/ <http://www.ibp.fraunhofer.de/wt/>

Johannes Schrade
Department Heat Technology

Fraunhofer Institute for Building Physics
Nobelstr. 12
70569 Stuttgart, Germany

johannes.schrade at ibp.fraunhofer.de <mailto:johannes.schrade at ibp.fraunhofer.de>
Phone +49 711 / 970-3416
Fax +49 711 / 970-3399
www.ibp.fraunhofer.de/wt/ <http://www.ibp.fraunhofer.de/wt/>

Mattieu,

  I think that the wall type manager is where the incorrect units are

displayed. My understanding is that a coldbridge does not have any

thickness but it does have a length. For example, if you want to make a

coldbridge to represent the lack of insulation where two exterior walls

are joined, you would define a coldbridge that has the length of the

joint. The resistance you enter should be in kJ/h.m.K (where the length

is the length of the bridge). The error in TRNBuild is that the wall

type manager should change the units of u-value when a coldbridge wall

is displayed. Note that since the u-value displayed in the wall type

manager is not actually used in calculation, that this error should not

affect your results.

Kind regards,

David