[TRNSYS-users] Simple Model of Reverse Osmosis Desalination Plant

George Kyriakarakos gk at aua.gr
Mon Sep 26 10:13:41 PDT 2011

Hi there, we are also researching the same field. What we are doing
essentially is build a model that works like the windturbine model in
TRNSYS. We take experimental data from a plant we have at the university and
we correlate consumed power with produced water (we can also predict the
salinity, but what is important for us is for the water to be potable
according to the World Health Organization). We have opted for this approach
since different approaches in the design of the reverse osmosis plant change
the performance considerably. The key component is what kind of energy
recovery device the plant uses as well as the sizing of the various
components.

Of course if you operate the unit at nominal power steadily you can just
model it using a couple of simple equations.

You can see our work in the below published paper in Applied Energy journal.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306261911003333

In the references of this paper you can also find our previous work on the
experimental investigation of the plant that we have at the university if
you want to model that unit.

George Kyriakarakos, Agricultural Engineer

MSc Energy Systems & Renewable Energy Sources

Agricultural University of Athens,

Dept. of Natural Resources and Agricultural Engineering

Iera odos street, 75, Athens 11855, Greece

Tel. +30.210.5294046 (direct), Fax: +30.210.5294023

Mobile +30.6942.046895

e-mail: < <mailto:gk at aua.gr> gk at aua.gr>