[TRNSYS-users] Fire safety calculation

marcello.caciolo at aximaseitha-gdfsuez.com marcello.caciolo at aximaseitha-gdfsuez.com
Thu Sep 15 04:00:31 PDT 2011

Dear TRNSYS users,

We should make an unusual (for us) calculation about fire safety.

The definition of the problem is quite straightforward: a room has a heavy wall in contact with a space where temperature is rising up to 400 degrees in a hour. We should calculate the airflow rate necessary to limit the temperature rise in the room to  40 degrees during this hour.

I was wondering if it possible to use TRNSYS to simulate this problem. From my point of view, the main limitation of TRNSYS for this application is that, as my wall is heavy, my minimum wall time step for transfer function is more than 1 hours. If I well understand heat transfer functions, it means that the wall temperature will not change during the hour of my simulation, which is not physically correct for this situation, as wall temperature is expected to rise during the hour due to the large heat flux from the adjacent space.

Do you know if there is an alternative way in TRNSYS to simulate a wall (finite difference?) which we could use to take into account the wall dynamics, taking into account the fact that simulation of radiative heat exchange is important in this case due to the large temperature difference? If not, have you never done a similar simulation and eventually with which software?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Marcello CACIOLO
Responsable Outils et Méthodes d'Analyse Energétique

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CC73A4.08DFD7A0]

Cellule Efficacité Energétique
Direction Commerciale
46 Boulevard de la Prairie au Duc BP 40119
44000 Nantes Cédex 2
Tel. 02 40 41 06 57

mail: marcello.caciolo at aximaseitha-gdfsuez.com

www.aximaseitha-gdfsuez.com

P Pensez à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce message

GDF SUEZ Mail Disclaimer: http://www.gdfsuez.com/disclaimer/disclaimer-fr.html