[TRNSYS-users] External shading factor

Damien Gondre dgondre.etamine at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 09:26:36 PDT 2011

Hello,

I have a question about “external shading factor” defined in TRNBuild.
Does this factor apply to beam radiation or total radiation?
In others words if I define an external shading factor “Eshad”, a view
factor to sky “VFS”, and a window g-value “gw” and if my window receives
beam radiation “Ib” and diffuse radiation “Id”, does the total radiation
“It” that is transmitted through the window is:

1)    It = (Ib*(1-Eshad) + VFS*Id) * gw (?)
Or
2)    It = (Ib * (1-Eshad) + Id*(1-Eshad)*VFS) * gw (?)
Or
3)    It = (Ib+Id) * (1-Eshad) * gw (?)

Equations 1) and 2) make sense to me but I don’t know which one is correct
(if one is actually correct). 3) would be more surprising (because the VFS
doesn’t apply in this case).

I looked at the user guide and the Type 56 mathematical description but I
couldn’t find any answer. I also looked at the Trnsys-users archives and
even if external shading factors have been discussed several times I didn’t
find the answer to my question.

Thanks,

Damien Gondre.