[TRNSYS-users] Solar Desalination

matthew stroud mattbstroud at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 13:58:16 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm writing my thesis on solar desalination in the Southwest U.S.  NREL's
System Advisor Model (SAM) support suggested there might be a way to utilize
TRNSYS for modeling such a plant.  The specific problem I'm trying to
modeling is a distillation plant coupled with a concentrated solar thermal
heat collection system.  The plant needs to vary its output based on
insolation, as apposed to adapting the incoming solar radiation to fit the
needs of steady state equipment like power generators and turbines operating
at 60Hz.  The change in system design should lead to a reduced capital and
energy cost for desalination and concentrate management plants.

My department routinely uses the free 1D version of HYDRUS, an unsaturated
hydrology program, and other programs coupled with Matlab to perform tasks
which the GUI wasn't intended for.  I was hoping to construct something like
that for my thesis using TRNSYS or SAM.

Has anybody ever used TRNSYS or SAM in this way?  A SAM approach would be
better, as it's free, and my project recently ran out of funds.

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew Stroud
Graduate Researcher
The University of Arizona
MS Hydrology | BS Mechanical Engineering | EIT
750 Van Ness Avenue Number 203
San Francisco California 94102
Email: stroud at email.arizona.edu