[TRNSYS-users] Questions about VENTILATION Type & HVAC components

Chou Shen csz59 at mst.edu
Fri Dec 23 01:36:42 PST 2011

Mr. David BRADLEY,

Thanks for your information in details about Type 56. It provides me some
key points of Type 56. Now I have some other questions on it. There seems
to be too many words here, and I am sorry to take you too much time to read
this.

1. As you mentioned in the first simulation with Type 56----to get a basic
idea of how much energy the building will consume, use the VENTILATION Type
with outside air and use the COOLING Type to define set up temperature. I
set the VENTILATION Type with the conditioned air (temperature 16C), I
think the cooling load will change, but the results don't change
significantly (<10%). Also in the VENTILATION Type, I wonder the air change
rate refers to the fresh air or the mixed air (flow of fresh + return air)
if the VENTILATION is set up as outside.

2. In the file of BALANCE summary, the BAL_ENERGY is supposed to be zero,
according to the Manual. However my results indicate that this item is up
to 10^6 kJ, and it doesn't equal to the sum of the other items. And there
is not too much details about it on the manual.

3. I try to use Type 53 + Type 52 as the AC components of the Type 56, But
when I run the model, an error occurs, which says,

TRNSYS Message 350: Unable to open the file associated with an ASSIGNED
logical unit number. Please check the statement and make sure that the file
exists at the specified location. Reported information: Logical Unite=36,
FileName=.

I am confused about this message, because it doesn't mention which part is
wrong and the Manual doesn't help me too much. If I can read some examples
including these components I think I could figure out how to use them
correctly. Would you give me some tips about this error? To make it more
straightforward, the connections are illustrated by the figure and table as
following:

  1

Type 53

Type 52