[TRNSYS-users] "reverse" tempering valve - using Type11b

Nicholas LaHam ndlaham at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 07:30:37 PDT 2011

Hey all,

I am trying to model something in TRNSYS that may already exist as a
component but I'm probably doing it the hard way. Any ideas are appreciated.

Basically I want to model a tempering valve that does the opposite of
tempering. The tempering valve slows down the flowrate of a hot stream of
water and adds the appropriate amount of cold water to be mixed in, based on
a setpoint. What I am trying to do is this, I want to add the correct amount
of HOT water from another source to heat up a COLD stream. Right now, I am
basically using Type 11b in reverse to accomplish this by having the cold
stream enter the valve, and have a tee piece mix in hot water. A
"reverse" tempering valve if you will.

This seems to work, however I get the same warning at several timesteps "The
inlet temperature and the heat source temperature
have simultaneously exceeded the set point temperature. Gamma has been set
to 0 (Mode 4) or 1 (Mode 5)"

This warning makes sense when the cold stream coming in is already over the
set point and no addition of hot water is needed. I am okay with this
warning as I feel that it probably doesn't affect the simulation, but I just
wanted to make sure.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows of a component that is built to do
this, or another way to accomplish it in a more user friendly manner that
makes more sense from an engineering standpoint?

Thank you,
Nick