[TRNSYS-users] Radiance to/from TRNSYS

Matt Duffy duffy at tess-inc.com
Fri Sep 17 09:28:11 PDT 2010

Hello Kent,

I actually was just presented a response by another user, Cramer Silkworth. I am unfortunately not too familiar with Radiance, but here was the response.

Best regards,

Matt Duffy

"Both trnsys and radiance are very powerful simulation engines.
        Though graphical interfaces for both exist (built-in with
        Trnsys, in Simulation Studio, and as add-ons for Ecotect and
        Sketchup for Radiance), they are most powerful when used like a
        programming language - ie, modifying their text input files
        directly. This gives you the most control, and once you learn
        their syntax, I'd say easier than the graphical interfaces.
        Especially for parametric studies.

        If I were to want to couple radiance and trnsys for a project,
        I'd be using DaySim as a front-end for radiance. Version 3 is on
        the verge of final release (workable beta is available now - www.daysim.com),
        and it's free. It essentially runs radiance for your geometry in
        an annual simulation (with weather data), can handle active
        shading and electric lighting, and has numerous outputs -
        including one intended for coupling to trnsys. Then you just
        need to set up your trnsys model to read this file from daysim
        (it comes with a generic data file reader component), and then
        you use your results to modify your lighting power accordingly
        (or whatever variable you want to respond to lighting
        conditions). I can't say I've used too many other daylight &
        energy modeling programs, but I'm fairly confident there are
        very few if any other programs out there that can handle such a
        coupling as detailed as trnsys & daysim/radiance can. I've
        heard of it being done with eQuest, but I think the eQuest side
        of things is a bit limited. There are other daylight simulation
        programs as well, but Radiance is always talked of as being the
        industry 'standard.'"