[TRNSYS-users] Partload operation of Water to Water Heat Pump (Type 668)

Knut Erik Enerstvedt knut.erik.enerstvedt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 01:23:33 PDT 2010

Fred,

I think you will have to modify Type668 to do that. I suggest you take a
look at Type666 water-cooled chiller which works at part load by defining a
setpoint on outlet load temperature. Instead of calculating part load ratio
as a result of desired outlet water temperature, you can directly specify
10%, 50% and so on. You will also need some data on fraction of full load
power at given part load ratio, to properly model heat pump performance at
part load.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Knut Erik Enerstvedt

>Does anyone know of a way to make part load operation work in Type668?

>The performance maps are based on entering conditions on the evaporator and
condenser side. However, there is no direct way to >make type668 run at 10%,
50%, etc.

>The work around I have used in the past is dividing the performance map by
50% to reflect two stages of operation and so on. Then >setting up valves
and controls to route the flow correctly.

>The HP I am modeling has a 10:1 turn down ratio and I don’t want to make 10
heat pumps each with 10% of the total capacity of a >single unit.