[TRNSYS-users] Simplified heating and cooling based on operativetemperature

Sabine Jansen - BK S.C.Jansen at tudelft.nl
Wed Mar 31 06:16:19 PDT 2010

Dear all,

I also tried the approach suggested by mr Olsen, but a little different since I don't know how to change the deck. What I did was (see also attached file):

*
	-        I set the setpoint temperature in TRNbuild as an input. (see figure 1)
*
	-        Then I calculated the adapted air setpoint temperature (Tair_set) in TRNSYS studio as follows: (fig 2)
	Tair_set = (Tset_WK-0.5*Tms)*2 , where:
	-  Tset_WK is the required operative temperature for a weekly schedule
	- Tms is the CURRENT mean surface temperature of the zone, which is a standard output of type 56. (outp Ntype24)

		This way the current mean surface temperature is used. To me the results seem OK (see also attached file). Does anyone have an idea if this is a correct approach or that something might be wrong with it? (in my case the difference in temperature of Tmeansurf is up to 0.4 K, since I use night setback I think.)

		Thank you a lot!

		If I can be of any help to you, let me know.

		Kind regards,  Sabine Jansen

		p.s. I have 2 more questions about the ideal heating demand + one general question. I will also ask these to the general users list, but since they are related I mention them here.

		1.    it takes two timesteps for the ideal heating to reach the required setpoint..
		Is this normal or what am I doing wrong?

		2.   When using a schedule in trnbuild (so not in the operative correction trick of above), somehow the heating only switches on at exactly the time of the switch (in my case 7 h and 17 h), while I assumed the schedule to mean that at the new time the new temperature must be obtained (see attached document). The heating switches OFF at exactly the changing time, so it then takes the new setpoint temperature. (see figure 2).

		3.   Does anyone know why the temperature seems to be fluctuating a little (in other words: it is not a smooth line) as soon as the heating turns off?

		Also when using a smaller timestep the line is not smooth, but the temperatures stay constant during a hour, so the line looks like a staircase..

		     (note: the non-smooth line occurs when the heating is OFF)